Join Didge Project’s AJ Block and Jerry Walsh and the host of It’s All About Rhythm, Kevin Nathaniel, for an intensive journey into didgeridoo playing, rhythm, sound healing and music. The didgeridoo is a world music instrument that can be used in a number of contexts, including dance, meditation, sound healing, and more! In this training you will learn many ways to use the didgeridoo with a special focus on learning rhythms that can induce trance and can be played with other musicians. The Didgeridoo Rhythm Training is an in-person event with a live broadcast option for remote participants.
Sample didgeridoo rhythm training video from Didge Project’s AJ Block:
Sample rhythm training video from It’s All About Rhythm with Kevin Nathaniel (try clapping along):
Participants will learn how to:
- Use the didgeridoo in a sound healing context
- Play rhythmically with other musicians
- Apply rhythms from Africa, Latin America and the Middle-East to the didgeridoo and other instruments
- Play in different meters (e.g., 3, 4 and 6 beat patterns).
- Make the basic sounds on didgeridoo and combine them into different rhythm patterns
- Circular breathe on didgeridoo in a rhythmic way
- Utilize the drone as a musical element
- Utilize the voice within the didgeridoo sound
- Hold a steady beat that can bring listeners into states of trance or deep relaxation
- Beatbox with the didgeridoo
Included in the Didgeridoo Rhythm Training (all events at Golden Drum):
- Admission to the Didgeridoo-Infused Sound Bath on Friday, April 21
- Admission to the full day of workshops with AJ Block (6 hours) and Kevin Nathaniel (2 hours) on Saturday, April 22
- Video recordings of all workshops on Saturday, April 22
- Lifetime access to the Didgeridoo Skills Course for Intermediate Level Players, a 9-hour video course published by Didge Project ($67 value)
- Lifetime access to the It’s All About Rhythm video course with Kevin Nathaniel ($67 value)For remote participants: livestream access to all workshops with AJ Block and Kevin Nathaniel on Saturday, April 22
This class is available in-person at Golden Drum in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, via live streaming video from anywhere around the world, and as a video course recording (excluding the Friday night sound bath) with indefinite replay.
Didgeridoos will be available for use and didgeridoos and other instruments will be available for sale.
Friday, April 21
- 7:30 to 9:30pm: Didgeridoo-Infused Sound Bath
Saturday, April 22
- 10am to 1pm: Didgeridoo Workshop with AJ Block and Jerry Walsh
- Lunch break
- 2:30 to 4:30pm: Rhythm Workshop with Kevin Nathaniel
- 5pm to 8pm: Didgeridoo Workshop with AJ Block and Jerry Walsh
- $250 in-person (no one turned away for lack of funds)
- $180 online broadcast (does not include sound bath on Friday night)
*Note: The Didgeridoo-Infused Sound Bath and the Rhythm Workshop with Kevin Nathaniel are also open to participants who do not attend the full Didgeridoo Rhythm Training. See goldendrum.org for the individual event listings.
Location: Golden Drum, 97 Green St., Brooklyn, NY 11222